Monday, November 8, 2010

Japanese Maple in the Fall Part I


Up until now, I've been mentioning shrubs in my Fall foliage series. Today I choose a tree! Pictured here is an Acer palmatum dissectum 'Viridis'. This is also known as a green laceleaf Japanese Maple.

'Viridis' possesses a traffic-stopping brilliant yellow foliage in Fall. The very dissected and divided leaves are a medium green all season long, until Fall when they pop with this yellow color. I consider Viridis to be one of the showiest of the dissectum type Japanese Maples.

Maturing at 8-12' x 10-14', Viridis Japanese Maples are a manageable size for a small planting bed or as a specimen in a remote garden. The frilly texture of the foliage creates a delicate effect. Jap Maples look good with many perennials, ornamental grasses and are one of my favorite groups of plants!!

No comments: